As I was showering this morning, it hit me like a brick - One year ago, I needed Lee to help me take a shower: He wrapped my emaciated body in saran wrap to protect the ostomy bag; He installed a hand-held shower wand so I could sit on the shower chair since I was too weak to stand for very long.
I took a look back at a post I wrote in May and I listed things I Missed:
- Food on My Terms
- The way food USED to taste.
- Wiping My Ass
- My "Before" Clothes
- Wearing MakeUp/Clear Skin
- Q-Tip Satisfaction: I no longer produce ear wax, no need to Q-tip. Freaky, I know.
- Fitting into my Bras- I used to somewhat dislike my large Marges, now I miss them
- Diet Pepsi: The bubbly, crisp, sweet drink in the middle of the work day. I drank maybe 3 per week, not a soda-aholic by any means. Any carbonated drink tastes like acid.
- Ketchup: How can I eat my diet of hamburgers without it? i need a condiment, damn it. The acidity of the tomato is not a pretty thing for my tongue, throat, tummy. On the same vein, I miss MY homemade Spaghetti Sauce.(gravy, for my Italian friends). My red sauce was soooo my comfort food.
- The simple act of taking a shower, unassisted is so much more satisfying now.
- I don't need to go into detail about how grateful I am to NOT have an ostomy bag, I gave you all much too much detail last year!
- Picking up Michaela from school
- Eating together as a family
The little things that were unavailable to me one year ago are now an abundant blessing one year later.