Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Wow, It's been 8 weeks since my surgery- it feels like both a lifetime and a blink of an eye.
The past 2 weeks I've made significant progress in terms of getting around, and just feeling stronger and lucid.

The nasty break out on my face,neck and chest is just now subsiding - I have no idea if it will return with each dose of my chemo coctail. My mouth sores are much better as well - i hope they stay away.

I had a special treat today - April & Barb, friends from C&W, came to visit on their lunch hour. They brought me a Portillo's burger and a shake to fatten me up, along with some Tulips and other munchies for my fatten-up plan! It was sooo great to see them, feel normal, and have some laughs. As always, I'm so greatful and blessed to have such wonderful people in my life!


All in all, it's been an uneventful week- no crazy mishaps to report. I do have an observation to note:

I've noticed that every time I go to Chemo, all the people in the waiting room directly stare at each new person that joins the waiting room. It's a direct, in your eyes type of staring, no averting the eyes as you get near. I feel like everyone is assessing their peers - "at least i have my hair", "Oh, that person has it worse than me". It's very blatant, but not necessarily offensive.

Fashion has taken a definite holiday in my situation- I basically wear some type of pajama bottom or yoga pants, haven't put a stitch of make up on in 2 months, and I have major bed-head hair. Oh, my chest has shrunk to pre-teen proportions, so my current bras don't work at all. My sister Kate was disgusted by my braless state of dressing, that she bought some for me and insists on their use in her presence! So maybe the other people are just staring at ME, and thanking their lucky stars they don't look like a bag-lady!

So tomorrow is the full Chemo Cocktail - a long day starting at 8:30 am (blood work) 9:30 am see Dr.Lo, my oncologist follwed by 4.5 hours if infusion.

It seems that I'm tolerating the Chemo pretty well, but I'm unsure if the more chemo drugs I get, will it bring on the side effects (nausea, rash, fatigue, mouth sores) more strongly with each infusion? I sure hope not, because if I've already experienced the worst of it, I can handle this with no problem!

So, my prayer for this week is: that the side effects are at a minimum which will mentally and physically help me to get stronger each day.

Also, if you have any prayers to spare, I ask that you pray for a dear friend of mine that was just diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Luckily, it was caught very early, so a minimally invasive surgery - tumor removal, not breast removal.

thanks, and have a great week!

XOXOXO Peggy

1 comment:

  1. I love you Peg, a little surprise went in the mail today, and some notes for the girls. Keep eating, and put a bra on!!!!! All My Love, R

    ReplyDelete